Friday, June 12, 2009

Hello!

Hello,

My name is Nicholas Garaycochea, and I am the only homeschooler enrolled into the Summer Scholars program at UNO this year.

Today is the last day of my first week studying on campus, and so far, it's been an amazing experience for me! On the first day of class Monday, I attended the class called, "College 101," which was designed by the faculty at the Multicultural Affairs office to help the summer scholars enrolled in the program to better prepare themselves for the daunting task on finding the right school for them, and to simplify the challenges of appying for scholarships and financial aid. This class meets three times a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

In addition to being in College 101, I am also in a class called, "Introduction to Native American Studies," which introduces the complex history of Native Americans and their present-day struggles as well.

I am also working with a fellow student in the program on a Service Learning project, which we are assigned to help a younger child in the community to learn and underdstand the challenges of preparing for highschool, as well as College.

To sum it up, I made many friends already, and I look forward to another challenging, as well as exciting week in this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment